Leader in Me® is a whole-school transformation model and process developed in partnership with educators that empowers students with the leadership and life skills they need to thrive in the 21st century. It is based on principles and practices of personal, interpersonal and organizational effectiveness, and upon the powerful premise that every child possesses unique strengths and has the ability to be a leader.
Leader in Me helps students learn how to become self-reliant, take initiative, plan ahead, set and track goals, do their homework, prioritize their time, manage their emotions, be considerate of others, express their viewpoint persuasively, resolve conflicts, find creative solutions, value differences, and live a balanced life. The process helps students develop the skills and self-confidence they need to lead their lives and succeed in school and beyond.
In 2017, Casselberry Elementary School achieved Leader In Me Lighthouse status!
Read the Lighthouse Review Report to learn more.
The 7 Habits
7 Habits: Purpose: to help better understand how the 7 Habits work in schools. Definition Statement The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People® is one of the key frameworks of the Leader in Me model. The 7 Habits help students learn and apply social-emotional skills. Additionally, the 7 Habits give students and staff members a common language and are essential in building a strong leadership culture.
Habit 1 - Be Proactive
You are in charge of yourself.
- I have a "can do" attitude and always try my best at everything I do.
- I follow directions and do the right things without being asked, even when nobody is looking.
- I choose my actions, attitudes, and moods and don't blame others for my wrongdoing.
Habit 2 - Begin with the End in Mind
Have a Plan
- I plan ahead and set goals for myself.
- I am prepared at all times.
- I think about how the choices I make now will affect my future.
- I think about the positive or negative consequences of my actions before I act.
Habit 3 - Put First Things First
Work First, Then Play
- I do the things that I have to do before I do the things that I want to do.
- I stay focused on what I'm doing.
- I try to minimize distractions and regroup if I get off task.
- I spend my time on the things that are the most important.
Habit 4 - Think Win Win
Everybody Can Win
- I can problem solve when an issue comes up with another person.
- I think about what other people want and not just what I want.
- I am kind to others and try to think of ways to help everyone to be happy.
Habit 5 - Seek First to Understand then to Be Understood
Listen Before You Speak
- I listen to others without interrupting.
- I raise my hand when I want to speak and I wait to be called on.
- I don't blurt out.
- I try to understand other people's views and feelings, even if they are different from my own.
Habit 6 - Synergize
Together is Better
- I get along well with other people and work well in groups.
- I value the strengths of others and allow myself to learn from them.
- I know that by working together as a team we can get more done and come up with better solutions than we could alone.
Habit 7 - Sharpen the Saw
Balance Is Best
- I take care of my body by eating right, exercising, and getting enough sleep.
- I balance my time between school, extracurricular activities, family, and friends.
- I am always learning how to become a better person.